Vitamin D has been recognized internationally as one of the main factors promoting human health. More specifically, in Leonia, we have been studying Vitamin D and its benefits on our tenants’ health with the past few years. Studies show that one in four people over the age of 60 have low levels of vitamin D. With a lack of vitamin D in adults, osteomalacia is likely to occur, that is, a bone disease that has the following characteristics:
- Brittle bones and fractures
- Bone pain and generalized weakness
It is also estimated that as many as 40% of elderly people have suffered a hip fracture due to low levels of vitamin D. Elderly people who spend few hours outside the house and are not in contact with the sun are more at risk of vitamin D deficiency. More specifically, for people over the age of 70, the recommended daily intake of vitamin D was 200IU and increased to 600IU.
Vitamin D and proper doses per adult
However, one of the common concerns of doctors and pharmacists about taking high doses of vitamin D, is toxicity through increased blood calcium levels.
From the review of studies on the subject, no incident of toxic levels of calcium arises for levels of vitamin D – in its natural form (25OHD3) – in the blood up to several times above normal (280 ng/mL), normal levels are up to 100 ng/mL.
The above doses are completely normal and expected, since the human body after exposure to the sun, in the summer, produces 10-20,000 units of vitamin D, in about 15 minutes. Doses of 5-10,000 units per day, for adults, are the minimum to achieve a sufficient biological effect. Newer data suggests that vitamin D is safe at doses much higher than previously thought to be safe.
The benefits of Vitamin D in Silver Age:
- Ensures the smooth functioning of the immune system
- Facilitates the secretion of insulin from the pancreas and contributes to the maintenance of ideal body weight
- Contributes to the regulation of blood pressure
- Enhances muscle strength and physical performance
- Improves brain activity and sleep.
- Reduces the risk of Autoimmune Diseases, Heart Diseases, and flu
- Reduces chronic inflammation and stress
- Protects the human body from 25 different types of cancer, including breast, bowel, ovarian, endometrial, prostate and lung cancer.
In Leonia, we have incorporated the abovementioned on our patients’ daily nutrition process, and we have noticed worth mentioned positive results. All in all, our research in the benefits of Vitamin D in Silver Age is in progress; therefore, in the following months we will present further data with regards its results.